Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Rain, rain and more rain

Winter has arrived. And with it has come the blessed rain. I enjoy the rain because it washes the air and the streets clean. I don't really mind the mud that accompanies it. I just wear industrial boots and clean them up from time to time.

I am happy to report the plastic on the skylight is keeping the rain out of the house. Even though I spent a fortune building a pitched, metal frame around the skylight and added tempered glass to it, the cover never did stop leaking. Seems no matter what you try or how much you spend to cover your skylight, in the end it's plastic that solves your problems.

The house is much cozier that the past few years. I have had windows built and doors made for all the rooms so I can now shut out the cold. Well, not all the windows have glass on them yet but the majority do. Those without have bubblewrap and other creative solutions to the drafty air that whistles through them. But comparitively speaking, the house is quite warm this winter.

Right now the sky is blue. Perhaps I should take advantage of this and find Rachida. She's a neighbor who washes my linens for me. One must grab opportunity when it arises and with a breeze in the air and a brief respite from the rain, perhaps now is the time to get my laundry done!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Evelyn,

I wanted to wish you Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. I am very proud of what you've accomplished. Maybe one day I will see your home in person instead of just pictures! Until then, be well.

Your loving sister in the US,

Nancy

Shelby said...

Ojai received blessed rain too and it was a huge relief. But my roof leaked where a seam joins and I had buckets lined up. After awhile it stopped so I think the wood must have swelled. I am not thinking about what to do about it yet.
Merry Christmas.