Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Sounds

There are some sounds I will always associate with this town.

The twittering sound of the swifts as they careen through the sky.

The man’s voice pleading for wares to sell as he slowly traverses the streets in the morning.

The beating of pigeons wings as they are released from their cages on neighboring terraces.

The soft rolled “r’s” as an owner encourages his donkey to keep going with his heavy load of gas canisters.

The abrasive ‘tak tak tak-ing’ of heavy machinery as it putters up and down the street carrying debris and lumber to yet another restoration project.

Hakima’s cackle.

The sound of water splashing in the fountain.

The dulled but constant thumping of the wood workers next door as they pound nails into yet another repair project.

The chanting cadence of the first call to prayer.

The sound of silence late at night -- no cars, no airplanes, no people. Just profound and utter silence.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Evelyn,

I am now in Essaouira and have an appartment so I've been practicing the beautiful bellydance you taught me whilst I was in fez. How different this country is as I pass from north to south and now on the coast. I have really enjoyed reading your blog and just wanted to tell you how much better I felt after our bellydance class and for the beautiful gift of this dance that you gave me. If you could remind me of the name of the cd that would be great.

I wish to you all you hope and aspire to for 2010

warmest wishes...Jenny manson
jmanson31@gmail.com