Friday, March 12, 2010

Good Luck People


I’m told certain people are ‘good luck’. These people are said to possess a special ability to attract good fortune to others. In order to avail yourself of some of their luck, it’s vital that you be in their presence and in their good graces.

One such good luck person is also the laziest person I’ve ever met. I don’t know which started first; the laziness or the good luck. But he’s universally regarded as good luck, so he only has to sit in the cafes, day after day, waiting for someone to buy his coffee, give him something to smoke, or take him along on an errand or an adventure which someone inevitably does. His lack of interest in work is entirely excusable because just to have him in your presence means something good will happen to you. Therefore, it’s good to have him available, 24/7.

I think it’s a great gig if you can get it.

And I, too, have been told I bring good luck. My house has been dubbed ‘good luck’ as well. I certainly prefer to be the harbinger of good luck rather than bad, but I am not clear on one’s responsibility as the bearer of good fortune or what demeanor should be adopted. In fact, I’d love to receive the message that I should quit my job, stop doing the housework and make myself available to dispense good luck to those who need a little boost from the unseen realms. But alas, I have yet to embrace the idea that I bring good luck and am more interesting in receiving it than bestowing it. Perhaps that’s the problem.

Maybe tomorrow I will hand in my resignation and begin embrace the role of good luck provider. It’s a tempting thought.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Maybe I should try this when I get there this summer when we visit my wife's family. It will help pay for the trip. I tell you it's getting expensive to travel with the whole family from USA. I could have bought a house by now in Morocco with the many times we traveled there. I know the cost of living there is similar to USA now.
I don't know how the Moroccan people make it. If we make it to Fez, can we stop by? My wife is from Marrakesh. It seems that we stay in that region because all her family is near by. I like to make it up north this time. There are many Moroccans where we live (Orlando, FL). I have many Moroccan friends that have family all over Morocco that invite us to stop by. I enjoy reading your blog. I thought about retiring in Morocco someday but things have change there. Just getting as expensive to live there as USA so doesn't make sense anymore.

Peace be upon you!