Saturday, November 30, 2013

Fair Trading

It's really hard to know if you are paying the right price sometimes. And while I have never been one to note the price for individual grocery items, household cleansers and the like, I do know I will pay more in some stores and will find higher prices in some cities. Put me in a foreign country and I am in a real quandary when it comes to knowing what the small, every day necessities cost. Especially when bargaining is part of almost every transaction.

While living in Fes, I always relied on my Moroccan husband to shop and to this day I can't tell you what a kilo of bananas should cost nor do I know the fair price to pay for a broom so my inattention to the price of day-to-day necessities has continued. But now that I am living on my own in Oujda, where I know the prices are generally lower but still have no knowledge base upon which to gauge pricing, I must navigate the shopping myself. And so I am making a concerted effort to learn pricing. To that end, I have a long list of household items and food to buy and I will note the prices I am quoted to begin my education. I will ask the price of everything from two or three vendors before I buy so I have a better understanding of who is being fair and who is not. Mind you, this is a new behavior for me but one that I must adopt as the need to pay careful attention to my budget increases from year to year. Also, I have been overcharged for little items on so many occasions that were I to add the sums up, I know I would be appalled.

Just this morning I ran into Aziz on the street as I headed outside to run a few errands. Aziz was keen to tell me I had been overpaying for my coffee and croissants each morning and led me to a small bakery/cafe a couple of blocks away where I got the same breakfast and of a much higher quality for almost half the price. Lesson noted.

All that said, when it comes to buying handmade items, furnishings and clothing, I have a keen eye for bargains and yet sometimes I am more willing to throw caution to the winds because I appreciate nice things. I almost always buy second-hand because I can afford a better quality item this way and I like the hunt.  And because I am interested in decorating both my home and myself, I pay attention to what things cost and know a good value when I see one.

After saving 8 dirham on my breakfast (more if you count the tip I give to have someone bring it to my doorstep) I walked up Boulevard Mohammed V to a temporary street fair where vendors were selling handmade goods. I was especially interested in the basketry and approached the table where a variety of woven baskets were on display. In no time at all I bought two baskets made right here in Oujda for the equivalent of $20 (170 dirham) and was happy to do so. I could probably of paid less but I liked the quality of the workmanship and the usefulness of the items. I also liked the idea of supporting the women who made them. Plus I reasoned, if I buy my breakfast for the next three weeks from the cafe Aziz led me to this morning, the savings I will have realized will more than cover the cost of today's purchase.


As I walked home with my baskets in hand, I felt someone behind me walking a little too closely for a little too long. I watched his shadow. When he reached his hand into my basket I was ready for him and pulled it away. I turned on him shouting "shame, shame" in Arabic and 'thief, thief' in French. No one gave us a second glance. The young man simply looked back at me from a now safe distance and demanded a dirham. Huh. You fail to steal from me and now you want me to give you money? That's ballsy I thought. I spat out one more 'Voleur', gave him my dirtiest look and walked on, my heart beating fast and my mind filled with indignity. This was the first time in all my years in Morocco that someone was so blatant in their effort to steal from me. But the incident put things into perspective for me. Being overcharged is not the same as being stolen from. In one situation I may be a target but I am a willing participant. In the other situation I am simply a target. And there is a lesson to be learned from both situations; be mindful. It pays to be mindful.

No comments: